12 Nov 2008

Less than triumphant return

I'll keep this short and not so sweet...
Posts to this blog will return on a weekly (or more) basis on whatever topic I feel like tackling at the moment.
In this opening salvo of the resurrection of the lowly sports reporter, the bane of the dreaded 'technology upgrade' has reared itself in my small bastion of deskdom.
At present, the slow and crashes more often that a kid learning to ride a bike computer I work with is in the process of being 'upgraded'.
And as usual, the 'upgrade' consists of its own hassles - mostly being a new publishing program (What the h e double hockey sticks is wrong with staying with Quark people???) that isn't compatible with the other computers in the place nor will it work with the ones prepress (that's another topic for another day) uses.
So, editorial currently has three paperweights worth about $15,000.
Well, at least I know where the cash for my raise went.
I know, as a sports guru I should focus on things like why the Esks still have the same head coach as last year's disaster (and the previous year as well) or that the Oilers should cut their losses and get rid of either Garon or Roloson or even dwell on the dweeb commissioner of the NHL (Nasty Hit League) advocating that players should continue to be allowed to destroy someones career by clobbering them into the boards or taking their head off.
That's tomorrow's project - for today, I lament the passing of an old way to report the news that should be the news.
I'm sure gonna miss my typewriter going ' ding '.
Oh, and I am the only one - aside from the vets that I saw at the Edmonton Indy - that does interviews with a notepad and shorthand, instead of relying on the new digital recording things?
As always, this is... just an observation.

No comments: